Originally Louth Motor Garage and established in 1908, George Harniess bought the business in 1914 and he, and subsequently his son Robert, ran the garage until 1984. In 1984 the Harniess family decided to leave the motor trade enabling employee Peter Rhodes to purchase the business and it is his son David who continues the family tradition to this day.
Originally a Ford and Overland dealer, from 1924 to 1984 the garage held the dealership for Morris which subsequently became British Leyland then Austin Rover.
After the Rhodes family acquired the business it was briefly an Alfa Romeo dealer before becoming Skoda dealers in 1990. This was at the start of Skoda’s revival and over the next 13 years G Harniess, together with other similar family owned garages, helped promote Skoda to a much larger audience who were looking for high quality, cost effective motoring with an excellent back up service.
Big management changes at Skoda saw them move away from the small family dealers and so David decided to concentrate on selling used cars together with servicing / repairs and working as an MOT Testing Centre. It was at this point that the decision was taken to move from the original town centre site to roomier, more customer friendly facilities on Louth’s industrial estate.
With all the staff trained on Skoda vehicles and many previous customers wanting to keep coming to us we specialise on Skoda cars but can accommodate all makes.